Yesterday, hubby and I picked the apples from our apple tree. Just thinking there would be a few apples.. we were amazed to harvest... 15 bags of apples!! And I mean LARGE bags.. filled to the brim! We gave a bag to our neigbors and a bag to my sil. Yesterday I made fillings for 2 apple pies and froze them, and also a huge apple/blueberry crisp!
Then last night hubby and I peeled and cored again.. and I made 2 more pie fillings and froze them. Then, in winter, I can just make my crusts, pop in the frozen filling, top it, and bake!! Cool huh!! Today I made another apple crisp, which we just demolished, and hubby and I prepared 2 more fillings. We are thinking of possibly getting a freezer.
And.... I still have 6 more bags of apples. I just found a recipe for applesauce, which I am going to make tomorrow. It is nice to prepared foods from you own garden!

3 comments:
Okay Kathy - now you have me craving an apple crisp or pie! :) Sounds incredible - to just go out, pick apples, & make goodies with them. 15 bags is amazing!
Hope you have a blessed day. You have been on my mind so much lately! Hugs
How I miss picking apples and other fruit. When my kids were young, we would go the the local farms and pick whatever fruit and berries were in season. I like your idea of preparing the pie filling and freezing it for making pies in the winter.
Have a lovely middle of the week my friend. Hugs
Hi Kathy,
Wow your apple story brings back some apple memories for me. Haven't thought about all the applesauce I used to make in years. Those were truly the good old day. I always left the skins on while the apples cooked so the applesauce was always pink. Love that color. Thanks for the memories. Hugz!!
Post a Comment