Here are a few things I love about Fall! I just Love cute scarecrows! And sunflowers!
I love pumpkins, I love carving them, decorating with them! Just seeing them in a pile all together... well it just screams Fall to me, and brings me such joy!
Just looking at this picture, why it is calling out for a hayride, pumpkin carving, and pumpkin pie!
I love going to corn mazes, but I can never find my way out! I always have to stick close to hubby!
I love taking long rides in the country during the Fall days! This year is especially wonderful for me... I am retired now and we can enjoy a ride any day we want. To see this, and smell the fresh Fall air, is heaven to me!
Truly, God has blessed us with this glorious colors of nature. He blesses our eyes, our souls! Can you imagine the peace, the glory of God you feel when walking and seeing this beautiful scenery!
I also love to cook and bake. Of course, I love to anytime. Fall, I love doing stews, soups, pot roasts, pumpkin pie, anything with pumpkin, and apples as well! I love using my crockpot in the Fall as well! Nothing like the crisp air outside, and coming in to something wonderful from the crockpot! The aromas are mouthwatering! Hearty dinners to warm the soul!
Here is one of my favorite recipes for beef stew, what we love in the Fall and Winter!
Beef Stew
- 3 lbs boneless chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in eighths
- fresh parsley to garnish (optional)
- 3 lbs boneless chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in eighths
- fresh parsley to garnish (optional)
PREPARATION
- On medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil to a large heavy pot (one that has a tight fitting lid).
- When it begins to smoke slightly, add the beef and brown very well. Do in batches if necessary. Add the salt and pepper as the beef browns.
- Once browned, remove the beef with a slotted spoon set aside.
- Add the onions and sauté about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring often.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. The flour will start to thicken the wine as it comes to a simmer.
- Simmer wine for 5 minutes, and then add the broth, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, and the beef.
- Bring back to a gentle simmer, cover and cook on very low for about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and celery, and simmer covered for another 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with the fresh parsley if desired.
We love anything pumpkin during the Fall! This cake, I make in a bundt pan, and I also make it in a muffin tin. You can also make this more spicy, add mini chocolate chips, the variations are limitless!
- On medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil to a large heavy pot (one that has a tight fitting lid).
- When it begins to smoke slightly, add the beef and brown very well. Do in batches if necessary. Add the salt and pepper as the beef browns.
- Once browned, remove the beef with a slotted spoon set aside.
- Add the onions and sauté about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring often.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. The flour will start to thicken the wine as it comes to a simmer.
- Simmer wine for 5 minutes, and then add the broth, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, and the beef.
- Bring back to a gentle simmer, cover and cook on very low for about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and celery, and simmer covered for another 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Pumpkin Cake
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan. Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan. Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.







10 comments:
Hi Kathy and happy blog hop day! Love your page and all the wonderful pictures. I love the little scare crow guys too! Thanks for sharing. Hugz!
Happy Blog Hop Kathy,
Loved your post and photos. And I intend to try your beef stew as I start making all my soups, chili and stews this time of year to freeze for future dinners. Have a blessed day ahead dear friend. Hugs
Hi Kathy, Happy Blog Hop Day! There is nothing like making all of the delicious fall comfort food. Thank you for the recipe. It sounds yummy! I blogged about a corn maze today too and us getting lost. lol Have a wonderful day! Hugs
Hi Kathy! Happy Blog hop day, October and Wednesday! :) Your recipes made my mouth water! Thank you for sharing them! I'm a sucker for stews and soups as well in the autumn. Have a beautiful day. Hugs
Hi Kathy! Enjoyed your beautiful autumn photos. Cutest scarecrow ever! Thanks for the yummy sounding recipes, too! Enjoyed my visit! (((Hugz)))
Hi Kathy, I enjoyed your pictures and I love scarecrows too. My fall Cottage has a page dedicated to my scarecrows. I grabbed your recipes and thanks for sharing. Yes God does bless us with beautiful things to enjoy. Hugs
Happy Blog Hop Day Kathy!!! Oh your pictures are sooooooo gorgeous!! I love them. Yes, God has really blessed us with beauty in Fall.
I am having so much fun with this blog hop. Great post. Thanks for sharing.
http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
I will be trying your recipes this weekend because they sound delicious. I am always in the market for new recipes.
Gorgeous pictures you posted.
Love your post. The very essence of Autumn! Thanks for sharing!
Happy Fall Blog Hop Day! I loved your post & all the pics! That first scarecrow is adorable!! I collect them, & I'd love to find one like her. I bet you have brilliant fall colors there! We won't get them till end of October or mid November. I LOVE fall - it's my favorite season! Your stew recipe & pumpkin cake sounds so good! I'd love to have it for a fall meal for my family. Thank you for sharing fall with us Kathy. Really wonderful post! Hugs
Post a Comment