Monday, January 04, 2010

Can't Believe...

that we are starting another decade! 2010!! My goodness, when I was a kid in school, (many years ago!! LOL) when the year 2000 was talked about, it was said that we would drive in space ships, houses would be ultra modern glass enclosed homes! All kinds of "Lost in Space" living! Thank God it all hasn't happened!

When I think back.... no computers, tv's that you basically got only 3 channels on, and we LOVED it! No remotes, so when we changed channels... we walked to the tv to do it. Oh goodness, help us if we lose the remote.. or worse yet.. the batteries die!!

I remember playing outside all day...summer, winter, spring and fall! Still live in basically the same area... but wintertimes, we spent the days outdoors too. And when we ran out of mittens.. that were drying on the radiators... my Mom would give us socks to put on our hands, and back out we went. Not just us.. all the kids dressed the same. The only time you would stay indoors.. well you had to be sick!

We shoveled snow off the pond and ice skated for hours, sledded, sometimes even on cardboard boxes. We made snow forts and had snowball fights constantly. In fact.. my brother Bob jumped on top of a snow fort we had made.. and I almost suffocated!

Ah....memories!

6 comments:

LadyT said...

Happy Tuesday Kathy;

I love the new look in here. I'm thinking of changing my template too. I remember those days well re the TV. Today's new sets don't even have knobs on them to change the channels by hand. We would be lost without remotes. LOL!

Have a lovely day my friend. Hugs

Connie said...

Good Morning, Kathy: I'll bet you're still bitterly cold in PA, too.

I remember all that stuff you mentioned and we were all perfectly happy with our lives!!

Have a great day.
HUGS

Melanie said...

Lovely memories. I remember those snow-encrusted mittens on the radiators! We have gotten to be a lazy bunch in this century, haven't we?
Stay warm and comfortable! ((Hugs))

Connie said...

Hi Kathy: The camp road used to freeze over into a pond. I skated there alone every single day I could. I tobagganed, slid, and had a great aluminum flying saucer.

We never stayed inside!!

Have a great meal. It sounds good!
HUGS

Anonymous said...

Yep, a new decade. In 2000 I didn't have a computer (and didn't want one!) or a cell phone. And now I cannot do without them, LOL!
Have a lovely Friday and weekend ahead! Hugs!

Lori said...

Greta post Kathy!! Have a wonderful New Year!! ((BIG HUGS))!!